Prison segregation was the subject of the annual Perrie Lectures 2017.
Different speakers contributed from different perspectives covering the use and harms of segregation, the potential benefit and harmful effects. These articles were printed in Prison Service Journal March 2018 number 236 including:
- A review of the more robust international evidence on the effect of segregation.
- Can any good come out of isolation article based on relationships with managers, governors, prisoners.
- Consider Pathways to Progression for men, both address the factors that lead to segregation or quickly address the reasons why a man may dwell in segregation for an extended period of time.
- Young Offender Institutions (YOIs) in the United Kingdom and the use of solitary confinement.
- Isolation of children under 18 in prison.
- Reducing the need for segregation by rehabilitation.
- Segregation by choice.