Who Is Doctor Harris?
- General medical practitioner based in Golders Green North West London.
- 38 years experience in General Medical Practice.
- An Honorary Consultant at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in London.
- Formerly a lecturer in the Department of Primary Care and Population Sciences (Department of General Practice) at the Royal Free Hospital & University College Hospital Medical Schools,London(1981-2005). My interest in the department was the disability in the elderly population, identification and assessment.
- Qualifications include Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours),LondonUniversity(1971). I qualified in medicine in 1976 from The (Royal) London Hospital MB BS (London) LRCP (London) MRCS (England). I qualified in 1981 as a Member of the Royal College of General Practitioners MRCGP. I was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine in 2002.
- Memberships of professional bodies/associations include British Medical Association, Medical Defence Association, MDU and General Medical Council.
- I have been a Clinical Assessor to the Independent Review PanelUKsince 1996 and am an appointed External Professional Advisor (EPA) to the Office of the Health Service Commissioner (Ombudsman).
- Particular interest in the preparation of medical reports for legal purposes, including on a ‘Single Joint Expert’ basis. Memberships of professional bodies/associations include the Expert Witness Institute (EWI), the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) and Action against Medical Accidents (AvMA). I am listed in the ‘UK Register of Expert Witnesses’ (JS Publications).
- I have provided medico-legal reports for solicitors, Courts, insurance companies, employers and others – involving criminal, civil, family matters and clinical negligence. I currently write reports. Court attendance is rarely required (once in the last three years). In civil cases, approximate proportions are 60% claimant, 35% defence and 5% single joint expert. In criminal cases, prosecution and defence reports are approximately equal.